Volunteering and Giving Back
Dec 14, 2021
Giving back and volunteering are important year-round, but these activities are emphasized during the holiday season. Whether it is hands-on volunteering or donating to a cause you care about, giving back is a way to contribute to our communities.
Here are five ways to give back during the holiday season:
- Start a donation pool! Ask your family and friends to donate to a specific organization by sending you the money via Venmo, Zelle, or any cash transfer method. Once you have pooled that money together, donate it to the organization. This is a great way to get friends and family involved in a cause that you care about.
- Get the word out! Giving back comes in all shapes and sizes. Do research on a cause you care about and share that information with family and friends. Spreading the word about a cause you care about can inspire those around you to do the same.
- Volunteer! Spend your time giving back to the community. This could come in different forms; serve food at a shelter, visit a nursing home, help coordinate events for a cause you care about. Your time can be just as valuable as money.
- Donate food! The holidays are often marked by big family meals or specific foods that remind us of the season. Donating food can be a great way to directly impact those in need.
- Do a good deed! Keep it simple. Not all giving back has to be on a large scale or through an organization. Sometimes a small gesture can be enough to turn someone’s day around and contribute to the wellness of your community.